File an Incident Report with the Elmwood Park Police Department

PLEASE NOTE: This is the website of the Elmwood Park, NEW JERSEY Police Department. Please do not submit online reports regarding Elmwood Park, ILLINOIS.

All cases filed using the Elmwood Park Police Department's Citizen Online Reporting System will be reviewed. Upon review, if further investigation of your case is needed, you may be contacted.

If the incident you wish to report is an emergency, a crime in progress, or involves any type of injury, please do not submit the report online but rather DIAL 9-1-1. The loss or theft of prescription medication, narcotic or otherwise, CANNOT be reported online. For any incident that requires a police officer to respond, please dial the Elmwood Park Police Department non-emergency number, 201-796-0700.

Before you proceed, you should be aware that it is a crime to make a false police report, and that all instances of false reports will be prosecuted. This online reporting system is only to be used to report a limited set of criminal incidents with very specific criteria, listed below.


To file a police report online, your incident must meet the following criteria:

  • This incident relates to Elmwood Park, NEW JERSEY.
  • This incident is NOT an emergency.
  • This incident is NOT school related.
  • This incident occurred within the Borough of Elmwood Park.
  • This incident is NOT occurring now.
  • There are NO threats of physical violence.
  • There are NO injuries.
  • There are NO known suspects.
  • This did not occur on a RT 80 or the Garden State Parkway.
  • This is NOT related to any domestic violence or domestic incident.
  • You must have internet access and an email address.
  • NO firearms were involved in the incident.
  • This incident did not happen because of your race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation.

Types of crime reports that can be filed online:

  • Harassing Communications: Any person who repeatedly, with the intent to annoy, telephones or makes contact by means of an electronic communication. For example, immediate hang-ups, obscene language, emails, text messages with no known suspects.
  • Lost Property: Personal property that was unintentionally left by its true owner. For example, property left in a restaurant, in a shopping cart, on a sidewalk, or in a public place.
  • Criminal Mischief/Vandalism: Any person, who maliciously damages, destroys or defaces the property of another person. For example, knocking over a mailbox, spray painting a wall, or throwing a rock through a window.
  • Non-Criminal Property Damage: Any property that has been damaged through either unknown or non-criminal means. For example, you drop your cell phone, there is damage to your car from unknown means (this does not apply to hit and run accidents; these require a police officer), a rock from the road strikes your windshield (this does not apply to a person intentionally throwing a rock at your car).
  • Minor Traffic Accident: You were involved in a minor traffic accident with no injuries and the damage to your vehicle does not exceed $500.
  • Theft: When property is stolen but there has been no illegal entry or contact by the thief. Items stolen from your yard, driveway, vehicle or other common shared areas such as parking garages, laundry facilities of apartment complexes, or other public places.
  • Identity Theft: Someone obtains a credit card using your S.S.N. or obtains phone service using your personal information.

If your report does not meet any of these criteria, PLEASE CALL 911.